Grand Theft Auto V continues to grow today, October 20, with the release of its latest free DLC. Called “Lowriders,” the GTA Online update is available now across current-generation consoles and PC, introducing the car customization garage, Benny’s Original Motor Works, and lots more.
Benny’s autobody shop specializes in car modifications for lowriders specifically, letting players deck out their cars with things like hydraulics, new wheels and rims, custom gear shift levers, horns, bobbleheads, vanity plates, soundsystems, and more. There are also two brand new vehicles to obtain: the Declasse Moonbeam van (this car lets riders fire two-handed weapons from its back doors) and the Willard Faction.
In addition to the arrival of Benny’s Original Motor Works (which you can find in Strawberry, south of the Olympic Freeway), the Lowriders update adds eight new Contact Missions themed around Lamar. He’s on a mission to become the “ruler of Los Santos’ lowrider scene” and needs players’ help to take down rival gangs through “subterfuge, skill, and pure firepower.” Lamar will call you to set up these missions.
The Lowriders update also adds new guns to Ammu-Nation in the form of the rapid fire Machine Pistol and the brutal machete melee weapon. There are also new luxury finishes for existing weapons.
On top of that, the Lowriders update introduces three new Adversary modes: Keep the Pace, Offense Defense, and Relay. Meanwhile, players can also now buy a fourth property. To mark the release of the update, Rockstar is offering 25 percent off a new 10-car garage, now through October 25.
In addition, the Rockstar Editor video-making suite has been updated with a new “Scene Creator” for its director mode. This lets players create their own settings and choose from over 200 props for their backgrounds. Up to four scenes can be saved for later use. The Rockstar Edition launched first on PC, but is now also available for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
On top of all of that, the Lowriders update introduces the following new content and features, with descriptions courtesy of Rockstar:
- New Clothing, Hair, Tattoos, and Accessories
- Personal Vehicle Remote: Players can now use the Player Interaction Menu to remotely open their trunk, doors or hood to show off their new rides. Players can also turn on the engine, lights, and the radio all while standing outside admiring their vehicle.
- Freemode Weapon Pickups: 200 separate weapon pickups are now scattered across Los Santos and Blaine County.
- Changes to Performance Mod Unlocks: Performance mods are now more accessible and unlock by rank, as well as via Race wins.
- Destroy Last Place: A new option has been added to Races, upping the stakes for those in the back of the pack. The host can set it to be effective each lap, every 15 seconds, every 30 seconds. or every 60 seconds–and the player in last will be blown up at the corresponding interval.
- Extra Weapons in the Creator: All previously released weapons that are not restricted by time-limited events will now be available for use in the Creator.
- Quick Ammo Restock Option: Refill ammo directly from the Player Interaction Menu. Quickly add rounds to any weapon, or max out ammo for that weapon type.
- Pearlescent Crew Color: New paint options for Crew Members in the Mod Shop.
- New Player Actions: Three new player actions will be available via the Player Interaction Menu: Chicken, Chin Brush and No Way.
- Updated PC Mouse Control Options: An option has been added to the Settings menu to allow players to swap between Roll/Pitch and Yaw/Pitch mouse flying control types.
The Lowriders update is not coming to the Xbox 360 andPlayStation 3 versions of GTA V, as Rockstar is now focusing its efforts principally on the new-generation and PC editions of the game.
According to Rockstar, the developer “currently [has] all key members of the team that launched Grand Theft Auto V focused on supporting GTA Online in every capacity.” This could explain why we’ve still yet to hear about the expected story DLC.